The Sex Debate
As I promised, this is the second of our trilogy of courses on Sexuality. After the first course on sexuality in relation to the Freudian and Marxian traditions, we now move into sexuality in relation to Feminisms this semester. (Come Spring, we will get into sexuality in relation to cultural studies and Lesbian and Gay Studies.) The following reading material will provide us with the basic documents and other relevant discussions on the raging sex debate among feminist camps since the 80s. Students are required to keep up with the assigned readings and make in-class presentations on the readings.
- Assiter, Alison & Avedon Carol, eds. Bad Girls & Dirty Pictures: The Challenge to Reclaim Feminism. London: Pluto, 1993.
- Califia, Pat. Public Sex: The Culture of Radical Sex. Pittsburgh, PA: Cleis, 1994.
- Dworkin, Andrea. Pornography: Men Possessing Women. New York: Plume, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1989.
- Hirsch, Marianne & Evelyn Fox Keller, eds. Conflicts in Feminism. New York: Routledge, 1990.
- Jackson, Margaret. "'Facts of Life' or the Eroticization of Women's Oppression?: Sexology and the Social Construction of Heterosexuality." The Cultural Construction of Sexuality. Ed. By Pat Caplan. London: Routledge, 1987. 52-81.
- Jeffreys, Sheila. Anticlimax: A Feminist Perspective on the Sexual Revolution. Washington Square, NY: New York UP, 1990.
- Kramarae, Cheris & Dale Spender, eds. The Knowledge Explosion: Generations of Feminist Scholarship. Athenes Series. New York: Columbia UP, 1992.
- Lorde, Audre. "The Uses of the Erotic: The Erotic as Power." The Lesbian and Gay Studies Reader. Eds. By Henry Abelove, Michele Aina Barale, & David M. Halperin. New York: Routledge, 1993. 339-343.
- MacKinnon, Catharine A. "Sexuality." Toward a Feminist Theory of State. Cambridge, MA: Harvard UP, 1990. 126-154.
- Sawicki, Jana. Disciplining Foucault: Feminism, Power, and the Body. New York: Routledge, 1991.
- Segal, Lynne & Mary McIntosh, eds. Sex Exposed: Sexuality and the Pornography Debate. New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers UP, 1992.
- Singer, Linda. Erotic Welfare: Sexual Theory and Politics in the Age of Epidemic. Ed. by Judith Butler and Maureen MacGrogan. New York: Routledge, 1993.
- Snitow, Ann Barr, Christine Stansell, & Sharon Thompson, eds. The Powers of Desire: The Politics of Sexuality. New York, Monthly Review P, 1983.
- Stacey, Judith. "Are Feminists Afraid to Leave Home?: The Challenge of Conservative Pro-Family Feminism." What is Feminism: A Re-Examination. Eds. By Juliet Mitchell and Ann Oakley. New York: Pantheon, 1986. 208-237.
- Tiefer, Leonore. Sex Is Not a Natural Act: And Other Essays. Boulder, CO: Westview P, 1995.
- Vance, S. Carol, ed. Pleasure and Danger: Exploring Female Sexuality. London: Pandora, 1989, 1992.
- Willis, Ellen. "Feminism, Moralism, and Pornography." The Erotic Impulse: Honoring the Sensual Self. Ed. By David Steinberg. New York: G. P. Putnam's Sons, 1992. 192-198.