2006春──翻譯與習作

何春蕤(週三上午9-12A-105教室)


朱子家訓

一粥一飯,當思來之不易。半絲半縷,恒念物力維艱。

Reflect upon the toil that went into producing a bowl of rice or porridge.

Bear in mind that even a shred of silk or a piece of cloth did not come easy.

 

宜未雨而綢繆,勿臨渴而掘井。

Always prepare for a rainy day.

Do not wait until you are thirsty to dig the well.

與肩挑貿易毋佔便宜,與貧苦親鄰須加溫恤。

Do not take advantage of traveling vendors,

Show compassion toward your poor neighbors and friends.

居家戒爭訟,訟則終兇;處世戒多言,言多必失。

Allow no family disputes to develop into lawsuits that further break up the family.

Comport yourself and restrain your loose tongue lest it should bring mishaps.

勿恃權勢而淩孤寡;勿貪口腹而恣殺性。

Use not your power or wealth to bully orphans and widows.

Do not slaughter animals at will to satisfy your gluttony.

乖僻自是,悔悟必多;頹惰自甘,家園終替。

Self-conceit breeds regret and sorrow.

Laziness and self-indulgence squander away your home.

施惠勿念;受恩莫忘。

Forget the charities you performed,

But always remember the favors you received.

 

凡事當留餘地,得意不宜再往。

Always show mercy while you are ahead.

Do not gloat over your victories.

人有喜慶,不可生忌妒心;人有禍患,不可生欣幸心。

Do not envy or resent other's success;

Do not rejoice over other's distress.

善欲人見,不是真善;惡恐人知,便是大惡。

Charities performed in public can not be true good.

Bad deeds that strain to be hidden must be great evil.